Please note: The next parade is December 2022
Each year, the Lawrence Old-Fashioned Christmas Parade committee selects up to 100 entries for the parade. Selection is based on the quality of the entry as described in the application in combination with the photo submission.
In addition to celebrating the Christmas season, the goal of this parade is to entertain and educate spectators regarding the history of transportation and the contribution of the horse in the evolution of our culture.
The parade begins and ends at the Douglas County Fairgrounds, and the total route is 5.5 miles. Local law enforcement provides escort from the fairgrounds through downtown and in the return. The parade also has designated official outriders to assist as needed and insure the safety of entrants and spectators.
- All participants (drivers, passengers and riders) should be dressed in appropriate theme attire
- Vehicles should have wooden or metal wheels; those with pneumatic and/or rubber tires are not permitted
- Riding groups must have a minimum of 6 members.
- The number of riding groups is limited; submission of an application does not guarantee participation in the parade.
- Priority will be given to past groups chosen and those with a unique historical appeal.
- Groups who arrive on parade day with fewer than 6 members will not be allowed to participate.
- Outriders are limited to two per entry. They must remain with their vehicle, and their attire should be coordinated with their entry.
- Walkers are not allowed.
- Dogs must be leashed and under control while at the fairgrounds and along the parade route. They must be able to ride in the vehicle as they are not permitted to walk.
- Nothing may be thrown or distributed from entries along the parade route.
- Entries may not display flags or images used by intolerant groups, including but not limited to the Confederate battle flag.
All participants with hitches who are traveling more than 50 miles are eligible for one hotel room on the Friday night before the parade at the designated hotel as well as stalls at the Fairgrounds for the horses. Riding groups traveling more than 75 miles are also eligible for one hotel room and stalls. Please indicate your needs on the application.
All participants are invited to dinner and entertainment on Friday night at the Fairgrounds. Reservations may be made on the application and more information will be provided in your acceptance packet mailed around November 1st.